Forum Title: Setting compound preparation on old painted plaster
Overview: 1920's old apartment building converted to condominiums in Oak Park, Illinois. Brick walls between adjacent units, covered with plaster without lath. Multiple years of paint, some may be lead-based. Only one wall in master bedroom has that type of wall. Started to install large crown molding. Three walls had previously been resurfaced with drywall over plaster lath, thus are uniformly smooth. 4th wall is extremely irregular wall surface of the brick with plaster. One particular irregular area is about 6 feet long horizontally with a gradual concave surface that has a maximum of 3/4 depression in the middle of that span, with suspicion that the plaster in that area had come off the face of the brick. Steps taken: contacted US Gypsum technical support. Technician started to say the wall had to be totally rebuilt (but that is not an option the client would agree to); then suggested removing the plaster down to the brick however lead paint could be found. Technician very concerned with delamination of setting compound. Technician recommended potentially trying to find a wall primer that could allow using a setting compound to gradually build up the depression through multiple coats, and then use a top skim coat. He did not know of a specific manufacturer product. Needed: Solution to resolve the irregular wall surface. Is it a primer, or self-adhesive joint tape, then applying setting compound in layers with a top skim coat.
Category: Drywall Post By: BETTY THOMAS (San Antonio, TX), 02/19/2018

Homeowner Resources & Remodeling Services

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527